Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Cooking Thursday

After a break from Cooking Thursday, I'm back with a recipe today, and it's a good one!  This is a recipe from the Pioneer Woman, whose recipes are almost always a hit.
This one is for spaghetti sauce.  It's easy to make, but does take a while to simmer.  It's a freezer recipe, so you'll have some stocked up for later, or you can easily half it.  On top of that, next week I'll share another thing you can make with the same sauce if you have leftovers.
Did I mention that it is absolutely yummy?

Pioneer Woman Spaghetti Sauce

5 pounds Ground Beef 
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil 
2 whole Large Yellow Onions, Diced 
2 whole Green Bell Pepper, Seeded And Diced 
6 cloves Garlic, Minced 
1 cup Beef Broth  
2 cans 28 Ounce Crushed Tomatoes 
1 can (14 Oz. Size) Crushed Tomatoes 
1 can (small, 4-ounce) Tomato Paste 
1 jar good store bought Marinara Sauce (can use another jar if you like the sauce to
      be more saucy than meaty  
1 teaspoon Ground Oregano 
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme 
4 whole Bay Leaves 
2 Tablespoons Sugar 
2 teaspoons salt 
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (optional) 
3 Tablespoons Parsley Flakes, more to taste
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
 
In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef until totally browned. Remove meat from pot with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl. Set aside.
Discard any grease in pot, but do not clean the pot. Drizzle in olive oil. When it is heated, throw in the diced onion and diced bell pepper. Stir it around for 1 1/2 minutes, then add the garlic. Stir and cook for an additional minute.Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble up and reduce for about 1 1/2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and marinara sauce. Stir to combine, then add oregano, thyme, sugar, salt, bay leaves, and crushed red pepper (if using). Stir, then add cooked ground beef and stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot and allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add a little water or some low-sodium broth if it needs more liquid. After an hour, add the minced parsley and the grated Parmesan. Stir to combine, then put the lid back on and allow it to simmer for another 30 minutes or so. Discard bay leaves before serving.

Serve over pasta of your choice, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
* This made enough for me to use one portion and and freeze three more.  Each portion was enough for me to use for one pasta supper, with leftovers for lunch, and also the meal I'll share next week.

14 comments:

Terri D said...

That sounds like a very rich meat sauce! Yum!

Jean said...

Another one that I am copying and pasting! Thank you!

Linda said...

Yummy, Mari...thanks for sharing, smiles. Have a beautiful day.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Looks so good and I love that it makes enough to freeze for later meals. Have a nice day!

Arlene G said...

I love a good spaghetti sauce to usher in fall.

Kerin said...

We love spaghetti here. Thanks for the recipe.. we'll have to give it a try.
We've been using spaghetti squash for our "noodles" recently, and this sauce would be tasty on it, I'm sure.

Have a happy day.

~K.

Sally said...

Looks and sounds good. I have to say Mom always made her own sauce much like that recipe except, of course, nothing from a jar.

Thanks for sharing; I always love your recipe Thursday. :)

xoxo

Doris said...

I rarely make my own sauce. This one sounds good.....I love most anything from the Pioneer Women! Thanks for sharing!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I think I've seen her make this one before. I always thought it sounded so yummy! Thanks for the reminder - I'm going to print yours and keep it in my collection. LOVE the idea of making a big batch and using for other recipes. I use pasta sauce kinds of things ALL the time!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am hungry for this right now!

Patsy said...

Sure looks good!
Just right for a cool day.

Betsy Brock said...

That looks yummy! I don't remember the last time I ate pasta! I do love homemade sauce, too!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks delicious! I think I will give this one a try! Thanks.

Jenny said...

I made this nearly two years ago for Melanie's 10th birthday party. It is truly amazing. A bit of trouble but worth it. And now I want some. xoxo