Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

Tip for Tuesday

I know a lot of people are doing a lot of canning and freezing right now - it's the season, right?  Did you know that you can freeze celery though?  I try to watch for it to go on sale, and I buy several bunches.  Last week, my grocery story had it on sale for 88 cents a bunch.  I bought 4 bunches and chopped it in my food processor, then popped it in freezer bags.  It works great in soups and casseroles.
It's a winner in many way.  I save money, I only have to clean up my stuff once and it saves time to have it already chopped and ready to go.
I do something similar with pepper.  When it goes on sale, I cut in in strips and freeze it, one pepper per bag.  It's perfect for fajitas or stir fry.
So that's my tip - buy on sale and use your freezer!

13 comments:

Karen said...

I need to remember this, in fact I'm writing myself a note and putting it with my grocery list. I NEVER have celery on hand when I need it, because I buy a bunch, use a little bit and it goes bad. The same with peppers.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I have frozen peppers before (when John used to garden) but I did not know about celery. Great idea; thanks so much.

Doris said...

Yes, like Mildred, I froze peppers but never celery. Thanks for the tip!

Arlene G said...

Great idea!!

Beth Cotell said...

What a great tip! I never buy celery because it always seems to go to waste. I'll have to keep this in mind!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Thanks for the tip and I am going to do the same thing. We have peppers and tomatoes already in the freezer, waiting for the winter soups, so adding the celery is a plus. Have a good Tuesday.

Sally said...

Nope - never knew that about celery. Thanks, Mari! You always have such great tips. :)

xoxo

Patsy said...

Thanks for the tip. I do the peppers that way but
had not thought about doing it with celery. Will now!

Betsy Brock said...

Nice....I'm going to do this!

Terri D said...

I had no idea you could freeze celery. THANKS!! I freeze peppers and onions, but never gave celery a thought. Awesome!

Cherdecor said...

I never knew this! If I had room in my freezer I might try it.

Jean said...

I did not ever try this! I have frozen peppers before, laying them out on a cookie sheet to freeze them first of all, then putting them in a bag so I could easily take out just the amount I wanted for a recipe. Jeremy just gave me his food processor last week (never had one), so maybe I'll give this a try.

Jenny said...

Ingenious. I never thought of that, even though I have often bought frozen chopped onions and peppers. Celery -- now that's a great idea. Thanks, Mari. xoxo