Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Cooking Thursday

I love making something for supper, and then using the leftovers to make a whole new meal.  It's a great way to save time and money!
Today I'm sharing what I did with a roast, that made 3 meals! Roast beef isn't very economical nowdays, so I feel like I have to stretch it when I buy one.  I started with a standard meal of roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn.  That was meal one.

For the second meal I made Shepherds Pie.  To make it, I take part of the leftover meat, shredd it and put it in the bottom of a 7x11 pan. I pour a little of the left over gravy over that and then whatever vegetable we had - usually corn or beans. I then seal it tightly with aluminum foil and freeze it.
When I'm ready to use it, I put it in the frig the day before to defrost. I usually buy a prepared container of mashed potatoes (Found in the refrigerator section of the store). Put the mashed potatoes over the thawed meat and veggies and place in a 350 degree oven. Bake for about 35 minutes and you will have a dinner that doesn't taste like leftovers.

For my third meal I made this vegetable beef soup, perfect for a cold winter night.
Vegetable Beef Soup

1 1/2 cup leftover roast beef, cubed or shredded
3 cups beef stock
2 stalks celery,chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves

In dutch oven type pot, saute onion in olive oil for about 3 minutes or until softened.   Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and allow soup to simmer for about an hour, or until potatoes and carrots are cooked.  Remove bay leaves before serving,

20 comments:

Jean said...

That looks almost like the beef stew I made today - with the leftover beef that's been in our freezer since our fondue the other Sunday. I never made shepherd's pie with shredded beef - I always use ground turkey.

Betsy Brock said...

Yum....great ideas!

Renee said...

That all sounds delicious!

Jenny said...

You clever girl. I love shepherd's pie. All three meals look and sound tasty to me! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. The soup looks especially tasty to me. Hope you have a great day.

Linda said...

Yummyyyyyyyyyyyy...thanks for the tip. Blessings

Apple MacBook Laptop HD Wallpaper said...

Looking Delicious , Thanks For Share....

Sally said...

I didn't have Shepard's pie until my granddaughter made it. So good. And, I sure understand about how expensive a roast is these days. You're very smart, Mari. That soup? I could eat it right now and it's only 9:30 in the morning. :)

xoxo

Heather said...

That looks really yummy! We might have to try it sometime.

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness, those all sound so delicious. I can almost smell that soup simmering on the stove. Thanks for sharing this. We love soup!!

Kerin said...

All of your meals look and sound delish.
Thanks for sharing your recipe with us too!

One of my goals this new year is to make more things "homemade". From meals to crafts, gardening, etc..
Trying to live a more provident lifestyle :)

Have a happy day.
~K.

Bethany Carson said...

This sounds like an awesome idea--three meals out of one roast, and they all sound delicious! My mom just taught me how to cook roast this year...loved it since it's so easy!

Laura said...

Love making multiple meals out of one thing! It probably helps you stretch things more now that you don't have three extra mouths at the table too! :)

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

We are trying to do the same thing...using leftovers and/or things we have here at home. Your 3 meals sound really good and it was a good use of the roast.

Jennifer Hays said...

I do the same thing, Mari. You should see how I prolong the life of a roast chicken, you'd think I was feeding an army, lol. Your soup looks so good. I've been looking for a recipe for a veggie-beef soup and yours sounds great. I will definitely save it for later. Thank you for sharing.

Cherdecor said...

All of that sounds delicious on a cold wintry day. I have never made Shepherd's pie. I may have to try that.

Amy at love made my home said...

A good way to make the most of what you have! xx

White Lace and Promises said...

Mari, I went to the grocery store last night to buy a roast and I flipped out! An average size roast was $25. What??? I went out without one. Opted for chili but wound up spending $30 total for other things that I could have done without. Your ideas for stretching the dollar will help. Now, I'll have to go buy that roast. Three meals for $25 ain't bad!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love to do things like that too Mari - just smart! I love these recipes and ideas!! They sounds so yummy. Thanks for great inspiration as always dear Gal! xo

HD Wallpapers said...

Greatful and nice blog, Thanks.