Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Stories from the home...


Many of you know that I work as a nurse in a nursing home.  I thought I would update you on how things are there.  It's been a rough summer!  We aren't a big place - we have 60 residents.  I love this size, because we all know all of the residents and their families.  We learn all their quirks, what they like and don't like, their history...  For those 60 residents, there are 10 nurses - 2 work nights, 4 on days and 4 on evenings.  We also have a few on call nurses, who really don't want to work much.
This June, one of full time 3-11 nurses fell while at work and injured her knee.  She's been off since June, and keeps getting told she needs to be off for longer.  Last week she was told it would be at least 6 weeks or maybe longer till she can come back. About 3 weeks after that, a part time day nurse hurt her back at home and had to quit.  You can imagine what having 2 out of our 10 nurses out of commission has done to our schedule.  On top of that it's summer and there are vacations to deal with.
So - that means I've been working a lot, far too much I think!  But, someone has to do it, and most everyone has been helping out.  Last week I worked a 13 hour, 15 hour and 12 hour day, in addition to 2 - 8 hours.  I've been visiting your blogs, but not commenting as much because of this.
We did get a new nurse hired who is willing to work extra so I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
While talking about the nursing home, I thought I would share a story about one of my cute guys there.  He's 97, and can get a little anxious, tries to get up on his own which could result in a fall.  When he gets like that, I take him with me at the desk if I'm charting.  So, he was restless and I brought him next to me in the morning.  He asked who I was (he's legally blind) and I told him "It's Mari".  He responded "Oh, Mari, I can always count on you",  he settled down and sat quietly for a while.  In the afternoon, he was getting restless again, so he came to join me.  This time he wasn't happy and was calling "Police, police".  I asked why he was calling the police, and he told me he was calling to report me.  I asked why.  "For obstruction of justice - you won't let me get out of here!"  "I hope they put you in there for a good long time!"   That's how things go - one minute you're great, the next they are sending you to jail.  :)   Life at the nursing home is never boring!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry about your heavy work load. Hopefully, the newest hire will be a lot of help. I've cared for many elderly family members and every day is full of surprises. One of the cutest things was John received a call from the nursing home where his mom was. It seems that she was "stealing" cookies from the other patients!!! lol

LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha, that story is a classic! You do a great job, and it sounds exhausting. I don't know how you find the time to blog too!

Linda said...

I am sorry about your workload (marrying Mildred's sentiments)---thank you for the giggles over your 97 year old patient...Blessings sweet friend.

Terri D said...

Like everyone, I'm sorry you have had such a heavy workload. I shout out blessings and thanksgiving for you (and all nurses) everywhere, but especially in the nursing homes. Taking care of the elderly and infirm is no easy task. Bless you. It takes a special person to be able to handle being great one minute and headed for jail the next. Hugs!!

Arlene G said...

Bless the nursing home nurses! I only worked in one as a student nurse as part of our training but I learned that it takes someone special to care for the elderly. I can tell you truly do see your work as a ministry Mari. Hoping you can get some good staff in to help yall soon!!

Changes in the wind said...

You have a heart of gold not only to work there but to bring laughter along the way. Sending blessing your way.

Marsha Young said...

Ah, Mari - from "hero to zero" - in the blink of an eye. Surely there will be an especially restful place in heaven for faithful
servants like you, who have made life so much better for others who could not repay you in any way.
Blessings to you - Marsha

Sally said...

My goodness, girl. That was a lot of hours to work. I hope you're able to rest up, and not have to do that again anytime soon. There are many dedicated nurses, and I put you up there at the top! Patience for the patients; it can't be easy.

xoxo



Unknown said...

I am sure there are many more stories just like this one that you deal with every single day. People do not realize what a hard job it is, but I certainly do and appreciate you tremendously. I had wondered why you werent posting as much and now I know....glad you werent ill, but know you have to be exhausted. Praying things get better soon.

Patsy said...

When My Grandmother was in a home, she had two grandsons that were policeman and she wanted everyone arrested quiet often.

Jennifer Hays said...

I can hear the sirens now, they're coming to get you! Bad Nurse! :) It sounds like you're working really hard these days. I'm sure it must be tiring but you seem so good at what you do. They must appreciate you immensely at the home. I hope things settle down soon.

Unknown said...

I am really glad that you are there. When my father in law was in the nursing home, we loved the nurses aids so much! The nurses weren't too spectacularly nice, but I think it was because they were overwhelmed. Thank you for making a difference.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Boy does this bring me back Mari. Your story about your 97 year old resident brings back such memories of folks that I worked with and dealing with these same kind of situations. ;)

God bless you for helping fill in while things have been crazy and giving so much to the wonderful residents who obviously really need you. Happy to hear that help is improving, though, as it also isn't good to burn yourself out!
Just loved this and thanks for sharing! Blessings. xoxo

Cherdecor said...

I am sorry that you have been having to work so much. There is another way to look at it. Now you will have money to get Bob a BIG Christmas present!

I love your story at the end. You are a great nurse! AND so compassionate!

Laura said...

I'm so hoping things will get better - you've definitely been working too much! And somehow still finding time and energy to spend with your grandkids! Aaron always says - "Is she crazy!?! Why does she want the kids after working all those hours!?" And I say, that's just my mom - busy, busy, busy! You don't find her sitting down too often. :)

I love the story - it's a good thing someone is keeping you under control there. :)

Mari said...

I understand the difficulty of having less people to work with more residents. Nurses are especially needed by these residents.

At least you can't be bored by the his and lows of how residents behave.

Jean said...

Hahahahaha!! Too funny! Bless you working those long shifts! It's good you're younger than I am.

Jenny said...

Oh, dear. Sounds like your summer has been as crazy as ours! Don't worry about commenting on my blog. I'm praying for you my friend. xoxo

Just A Southern Girl said...

That's a lot of hours! Hope things ease up for you soon.
Your funny stories always bring a smile to my face :)