Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Holland Tulips

Holland, Michigan is about 20 miles from my house.  Holland was settled by people from the Netherlands and is named after it.  It's best know for it's annual Tulip Time Festival, which people come from all over to attend.  There are parades, dutch dancers, a carnival, special speakers (this year it was Bill Cosby), beautiful sights and lots of tulips! 

This is our Governor.  Almost every year the Governor comes and participates in the "scrubbing of the streets".  Check out the costume and shoes.
I've gone to see some of these events, but most years I go after it's done. I can enjoy the tulips and Holland without the crowds.  :)
This year the tulips were a little late, due to the long, cold winter. However, they were at peak late last week when Heather and I wandered around Holland and enjoyed them.  It was a cod day - 45 degrees, but we still enjoyed ourselves.



 You know you're in Holland when you see crazy statues holding tulips and wearing wooden shoes!


If the tulips aren't blooming, you'll see some metal ones scattered around.


This is the DeZwaan Windmill.  It is an actual working windmill that was moved here from the Netherlands in 1065 and reassembled by men who also came from the Netherlands and work on them there.  It's 125 feet tall.


The tulips!  There are fields of them and they are such a pretty sight!



This area was really pretty with rows of tulips on the hillside.


Each variety of tulip has it's own beauty.




These orange tulips were my favorite.




The whole city gets into planting tulips.  There are beds near every business and down each street.  This bed is at the Amtrack station.




Here's Heather with one last statue.  This is the attire the dutch people wore when the immigrated here.  I don't know how they put up with those wooden shoes!

13 comments:

Terri D said...

I love the orange ones, too, Mari. But they are all beautiful! How nice to live close enough to see that each year! I'm with you, though, on skipping the crowds!

Jenny said...

Oooh my favorites are the yellow with a streak of red. I don't know how anyone ever wore wooden shoes. It makes my feet hurt just thinking about it. Heather looks so good. xoxo

Jennifer Hays said...

I can only think they had a lot of blisters! Yikes. This looks like such a nice event. I love tulips and would be in heaven if I could go there. The fields of tulips are just stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Sola Scriptura said...

Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures. The DeAwaan Windmill is beautiful!

Linda said...

I can remember as a kid, my Mom would yell at my dad,"BOB! STOP THE CAR! SO I CAN SMELL THE TULIPS!" Then, there was my grandmother who would the same to my grandfather. Thank you for the lovely memories. Blessings

Brooke said...

your gov. is such a good sport to rock that costume! so many pretty pictures!!!!

Maggie Ann said...

Mari, your post is sooo interesting! The tulips are gorgeous, how blessed you are to live where you do! The wooden shoes must have been comfortable? durable too I guess. =)

Karen said...

I've always wanted to go to Holland. Perhaps I should start here, it's a lot closer.

I hope they have some heavy duty socks for those shoes.

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful place and beautiful flowers. Thank you for sharing.

White Lace and Promises said...

Mari, now this would be a great trip! Tulips are my daughter's favorite flowers. The photos are beautiful! This sound like so much fun! Bill Cosby? I bet it was crowded. Sounds like fun!

Hootin Anni said...

...it's been YEARS since we were there. The tulips are always dazzling. LOVE the statues AND Heather's photo.

Anita said...

Ohhh, if I could have a bouquet of those flowers on my table everyday...

Guess I'd better grow my own. :)

Thank for the Holland tour!

Sue O said...

I do love your travel narrations. I may never make it to that part of the country, but I feel like I know it through your photo posts.