Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

What a difference a few months makes!

Those of you who've read my blog for any amount of time, know that we love to go to Grand Haven and walk the pier. Lake Michigan is always so pretty in the summer!
 
Here's a picture I took last summer on a quiet day.
 
 
 After the crazy weather we had last week, someone posted these pictures of how the pier and the lighthouse in Grand Haven look now.

The Grand Haven Front Lighthouse, covered in ice.
 
 

The pier is frozen over, battered by spray from Lake Michigan and heavy snow.
 
 

Ice has collected on everything, including the catwalk.
 
 

The wind has sculpted the ice into beautiful structures.
 
 

Frozen water clings to the catwalk.
 
 

The pier and rear lighthouse blend in with the frozen lake.
 
 

I hope there is no emergency!
 
 

Good luck using this life preserver!
 
 

The lake itself is covered with thick ice for some distance from the shore.
 
We had a little warmer weather this weekend and even some rain, but the cold and snow is predicted to be returning this week.

19 comments:

Kim, USA said...

I saw these photos too in the news. Yes we have experienced a lot for the past few days and no I don't like to experienced it again. ^_^ Happy Monday!

Jean said...

Wow!! That looks so terribly cold!! When all that ice melts, will it cause flooding? I guess a lake is different from a river in that respect.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Amazing pictures. I am shivering just looking at them. Stay warm!

Cheri said...

Call me crazy but I love it all covered with ice like that. The ice looks feathery on the catwalk.
Cheri

Jenny said...

Fascinating, the contrast. So much ice! The only ice I've seen outside is on Javier's doggy water (and it was only one day) :~D

Unknown said...

I love snow and I love winter, but that is just too much for even me. The pictures are good tho, and I enjoyed seeing them, while bundling up with a quilt!

Hootin Anni said...

I can't remember which month of the year we were last there, but I do remember standing by this lighthouse and the wind was SO COLD. No ice tho, thank goodness.

Such a pretty bunch of photos. I'd prefer the summertime tho.

Jennifer Hays said...

Oh, wow! Those photos are stunning. I can't believe all that ice. It really is amazing the difference a few months makes. Stay warm and think summery thoughts!

Beth Cotell said...

BRRRRRRRRRR! Now that looks cold!

Linda said...

Oh wow! That is cool. I will have to post the Niagra Falls pictures.Blessings

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Those photos say a lot! It sure looks cold. I hope you're staying warm.

Terri said...

It is so cool to see - we sure live in a beautiful state!

Anonymous said...

It looks awfully cold up there, Mari! I'd prefer to go back in time to the first photo.

Terri D said...

Oh my, Mari! That looks SO cold!! I lived on Lake Erie for a few years, and well remember how numbing winters can be on the Great Lakes. Hope it has warmed up by now!

Cherdecor said...

Beautiful pictures, Mari. I love the contrast.

Justabeachkat said...

Brrrr! Just looking at the photos makes me shiver, so I can't imagine actually feeling it! Beautiful photos though.


Hugs,
Kat

LL Cool Joe said...

I've seen some frozen shots like these online and they just blow me away, I think the snow and ice looks amazing! I wouldn't want to be there myself though! :D

Karin said...

Brave person who saw the potential of great photos, where I just see shivering, chattering of teeth and possibly a broken hip!!

Brooke said...

gorgeous!!!