Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

A little bit of Grand Rapids

While wandering around Grand Rapids, enjoying ArtPrize last week, I took a few pictures of the city to share with you.I'm a country girl at heart, but Grand Rapids is really a beautiful city!



This is the "famous" blue bridge.  It's a pedestrian bridge that crosses the Grand River.  It's well known and gets lots of use.  It was repainted this summer and  there was a lot of talk about what color they should choose.  In the end, they went with the same color it's been for years - blue!


A view from the blue bridge.

 

Here's a shot from the other direction.  The Grand River is the center of the city.



I love all the bridges that cross the river.

 

This is the Amway Grand Hotel. It's located in the center of the city.  It was built in 1913 as the Pantlind hotel, and had fallen into disrepair when the owners of Amway bought it and restored it to it's former glory.

 

The building is beautiful, inside and out, with lots of carvings adorning the exterior and the look of luxury inside.

 

This is another shot of the interior of the hotel.  There have been many famous guests here including many presidents and former presidents, other heads of state and celebrities.


One more thing:

for those who wondered about the winner of ArtPrize - it was this quilt!  

13 comments:

Terra said...

Grand Rapids, the bridges, the views, the Amway Hotel and the art are all fabulous.

Cherdecor said...

Grand Rapids certainly is a beautiful city! Love the blue bridge!

Unknown said...

Grand Rapids is similar to Chattanooga in lots of ways. We have a blue walking bridge across the Tennessee River, that also runs through the entire town. We also have an old hotel that has been restored - not quite as fancy, but very nice. I love the choice of the quilt painting as the winner! Have a super Monday.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is spectacular!
I had the pleasure of visiting GR in 1980 or so. Loved my sightseeing time there. The hotel is amazing.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful city! I have not visited, but I do like the look of it!

Anita said...

The colors inside the hotel are very bold! I would think that I'd be perky waking up to it if I were staying there. :) I like the blue bridge, too.

Linda said...

I see Linda E. has already commented --as your bridge looks just like the bridge in Chattanooga. Lovely pics!! Blessings

Jennifer Hays said...

I had a feeling that quilt would win! Thanks for sharing photos of Grand Rapids; I've never been to Michigan at all so it was interesting for me to see a few snippets of the area.

Just A Southern Girl said...

I'd heard the winning entry was a quilt and I'd seen a tiny photo of it, but yours shows the scale -- it's massive!

So happy we got to meet in real life this summer! I've carefully packed my ornament to take back in my carry-on :) I'll be sure to send a photo once it's installed in our yard.

Terri D said...

That quilt is amazing. Is this art event always at the same time each year? Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I'm intrigued!

Brooke said...

gorgeous City! and that's a quilt?? wow!

Jenny said...

I love luxury hotels and that one is a doozy. If I ever visit Grand Rapids, that's where I'm staying. We'll do lunch and a spot of shopping, Mari!

LL Cool Joe said...

Well I have to be honest I don't think the quilt was my favourite piece of artwork I saw, even though I can tell it's very very clever.

I love the shots of your city! I am more of a country person myself but I do love to visit cities and towns every so often.